VancannonArt

VancannonArt

Friday, October 31, 2014

just a fly on the wall (part one)

The three women trudged through the sand with big back packs and weird shaped boxes in hand. Their pace quickened as they reached the shoreline. After they dropped their things in the sand they wandered around the beach - almost like they were looking for shells or something... Soon they retrieved their boxes and wandered off. I soon realized that they were painters. Those weird boxes were portable easels. I sat at the top of the sand dune for a while and watched. The wind started to pick up and temperature drop, but they seemed determined to stick it out and paint. My curiosity  got the best of me and I wandered down the beach to take a look. Why can't I be a fly on the wall?


As I approached I couldn't believe how much they had accomplished in such a short amount of time! The one in the pink mixed beautiful pastel colors and added the people walking on the beach. The one in the hat was painting the sand dunes. How cool that they both were facing the same direction and took such different approaches! Another painted the waves rolling in. She used a variety of brilliant blues and greens to capture the essence of the magnificent ocean. The wind was blowing through my hair, I could taste the salty air on my tongue. The constant repetition of the waves was soothing. I came to the beach to get away, to retreat. These artists captured my moment on their canvases - a perfect reflection, impression, and desire.


I overheard one artist say they were coming back tomorrow. Maybe I'll come back too. They didn't seem to mind me watching and it was fun to see them in action. 


Don't miss out - Part II coming soon to an inbox near you. 
Visit www.vancannonart.com to see more works from Plein Air Monterey 2014

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing Abbey, can't wait for part II..(opps, I mean thanks you little fly on the wall.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful Plein Air story! Let's do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lady must have hacked into my blog ;) Thanks ladies! Part II later today!

    ReplyDelete