VancannonArt

VancannonArt

Monday, October 20, 2014

5 tips to keep going when the going gets tough

There are times as a professional painter that I don't always feel like getting into the studio and creating. This could create a problem since I rely on new paintings to sell and show. The longer I stay away the further behind I get on my projects and deadlines. My experience however, has helped me learn a few tricks that keep me on track in the studio. 

1. Get into a routine. 
Everyone knows how hard it is to start a workout routine and stick with it. Those who succeed at working out regularly usually refer to a daily routine. They get up in the morning or after work and immediately work out. For artists its no different. Make a schedule of when and how long your going to work, then set your alarm and get into the studio. 



Set your alarm and get into the studio!

2. Plan ahead. 
Sometimes the lack of an artists production is due to the lack of projected ideas. You have to think ahead! I always have at least 4-5 ideas for a painting brewing. I also have the photo references ready so I can jump into a work once I finish another. I keep a few sketch books lying around so I can jot down ideas as they come. When my ideas are getting low or I need more photo references, I set aside a day to take photos, visit a museum or gallery, and or hit up the library for some quite research time. 


I also have photo references ready so I can jump into new work once I finish another.

3. Make a daily to-do list
Make a list of everything you need to get done related to creating art and the art business for the next few weeks. Include deadlines, teaching engagements, client calls, printing, marketing, etc. Then number them in order of importance. Mark out what your going to get done each day of the week. At the beginning of each day, refer to the list and work your way down it. When you complete your tasks for the day make sure to take a little time to have fun (however it looks for you). This will help keep your art business in balance. Taking time to meet your relationship, physical, and mental needs is important for you, your family and friends. They will be more supportive the times you have to work late and you will be more energized to get back in the studio the following day because you took time to re-energize. 

4. Set a deadline and stick to it
Be realistic and fair, but give yourself a deadline. As it approaches evaluate your progress. You may need to cut out a few social calls or rearrange other obligations to complete the deadline, but its important you do! Not only will it give you a sense of pride, but it will also keep you on point with your goals. You will be showing galleries, museums, curators, and collectors that you can deliver while also increasing sales opportunities. 


Galleries will see that you can deliver on time, increasing sales opportunities.

5. What is it all for?
When is the last time you evaluated why you are creating? Why do you create? Do you have a series your working on, if so how close are you to completion? Is this series going to a gallery? If no, will you approach  a gallery with the series? Write down a few questions and answers that will help define your reasons for creating. With the big picture in mind and end goal in site, it will be easier to push through and continue to be productive.


What are your goals and reasons for creating?

No comments:

Post a Comment