VancannonArt

VancannonArt

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Frisco Plein Air Day

I dropped off my paintings for the Alumni Auction at Academy of Art on Friday. It was fun to be in the city during all the World Series hype. Go Giants! After dropping off my work I made my way to North Beach (my old stomping grounds) and found a spot to set up my easel. It was a gorgeous fall day - Perfect painting weather.


North Beach, San Francisco is a wonderful place to plein air paint. Just start walking up a hill and look backwards to find a spot. This one was perfect for me since I found parking :), found shade, and most importantly was captivated by the view. 



Plein air pieces are quick impressions, a response. I used a limited palette and payed close attention to the values. Palette knife in hand, I finished up the buildings with some thick strokes of paint. It really helped bring volume to the layers of city buildings. 


The day was young so I made my way to Crissy Field. This is another great spot with Golden Gate views, Mount Tam in the background, and lots of adventure seekers getting out their kites and getting in with their boards. Did I mention there is also free parking?


The best part of painting this small 6x8 was watching the moody clouds roll in and out while I worked. It kept the piece fresh and me working fast. Sail boats, barges and kite boarders skirted around in the water as I worked.




Sitting by the Bay could be one of my favorite things. I love the wind, people watching, fresh air, and God / man made beauty! 

Happy Day - I am thankful to be so close to San Francisco! This city got into my heart and I feel energized every time I visit. Maybe you'll join me next time to #pleinairSF #pleinaircalifornia

To see finished works please check my website (www.vancannonart.com)under the Gallery Tab. I will be posting them soon. Works will also be for sale under Storefront Tab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment