VancannonArt

VancannonArt

Monday, August 24, 2015

Artist's Beware

Sitting down at my computer, I was excited to see an email in my inbox from a potential customer. With the rise of technology and wonderful opportunities to sell online it was not uncommon to have someone emailing and inquiring about my work. I quickly reply with prices and sizes of the inquired work. They respond showing more interest. We go back and forth a few times. I describe the thought behind the work and she settled on three paintings for her new Florida Beach home.

After privately doing my happy dance I make sure to let her know that I would like to be paid by Cashiers Check and the address to send it to. She let me know her husband handles the finances and would send a check immediately. 

In the mean time I had left for IA to visit family. I still had computer access, but my husband was home checking the mail. After calling a few days later my husband lets me know that the check did indeed arrive. They had mailed it priority mail. The check however was not a cashiers check, but a very real looking business check. I email my client to let her know we received the check and would move forward with the paintings when I get home from vacation. 

Back home again, I examine the check and it looks real. I excitedly make plans to deposit the check the next day. Keeping a log of all expenses and income for my business, I sit down at my computer to input the new sale. That's when I realize the price on the check was not for the amount I had requested but quite a bit more! Immediately, red warning bells go off in my mind. 

I knew the husband was handling the sale, and the woman was traveling. There could have been a miscommunication in pricing. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I text and email my client. Her husband calls with in the hour to apologize for the confusion. As a busy business owner he made a mistake. I ask for him to resend a check for the correct amount. He hoped I could cash the check and just refund the difference that would be a quicker way for them to get their paintings. While on the phone I agree, but still contemplated how to proceed. 

Still unsettled the next day I call my sister in law who works in the fraud department of a bank. After explaining the situation she agrees - I shouldn't refund anything! She explains that if I deposited the check it would look like it cleared. Banks will credit you a certain amount ($3000) so it looks like the money is in your account, in a few weeks when they discover the check is indeed a fake they will take the money back. This would be a catastrophe if I had already mailed the paintings and sent a refund check to them!

This is just one example of fraud directed at artists. I've been approached before, but have been able to see the warning signs much sooner. I want to help other artists be aware of the danger of fraud. I want to unfold this situation, highlighting the warning signs.


Warning Signs

1. There were a few typos in the email sent to me inquiring about the artwork.

2. When I called the phone number I had for them, I realized they were using the internet to call. This was also evident when talking to them on the phone. The call was hard to hear and had a few short disconnects. Another clue that they weren't who they said they were. 

3. The phone numbers they were calling on had area codes from different states. These differed even from the states listed for their 2nd home and address listed on the business check they sent.  

4. The check was for too much. It wasn't the amount I asked for. 

5. They asked me to refund the money with a cashiers check. Once you send a cashier or money order there is nothing the bank or authorities can do to recover the money. 

6. I had a leery gut feeling about the whole situation. 

What Made It An Elaborate Scam?

1. The client inquired about the artwork they were purchasing. It went beyond "I like that piece, I'll buy it" - the client asked to know my thought process behind making each work. 

2. They texted me during the process to see if I got the check and exclaiming how excited they were to receive the paintings. 

3. They invested into the scam by sending the check priority mail. 

4. The check was printed on check paper and looked real. 

5. The business listed on the check was a real business with a website. 

4. They called me on the phone - giving a voice to their cyber identity. 

I don't want you to be scared to sell online. Its a great way for artists to get there work out there and make a living. Set up a website that has a shopping cart on it. Direct your clients to go through your site for the purchase. Websites with shopping cart capability are usually more expensive. If you want to avoid this you could add your work to a site like Etsy. If they are paying by check request cashiers check/money order and make sure they understand that it is the only kind of check you're able to accept. Try to talk with them on the phone before they purchase. Find out how they discovered about your artwork and get a feel for them as a client. These are a few suggestions, and I am sure there are more. Make art - Sell Art - and Be Aware. 


Check out my website: www.vancannonart.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment