VancannonArt

VancannonArt

Thursday, November 20, 2014

I've seen the light

Plein air painting has been something that has grown on me over the last few years. I didn't learn how to plein air until five years ago. While going to the Academy, I took a landscape class that practiced outdoors each week. I would carry my full size french easel(HEAVY), backpack, and palette up and down hilly San Fran until I found a spot I liked. The elements were challenging and I was tired from hiking - it was hard to focus. Lucky for me, Dean Larson is a good teacher. By the end of the semester I had a few successes and started to acclimate to the process.

"Rebuilding The Bay Bridge" - 10x10 - ©2010 

When I moved to Sacramento after graduating I got involved with a group of artists that loved to plein air paint. My friend, Patris, lives and breathes plein air painting and started inviting me on paint trips to local CA destinations. I retired my french easel and upgraded to the "Easy L." Painting got a lot easier when my pack was light! I began to enjoy the opportunity to travel and study the land. There is something amazing about visiting a place, studying it, and painting a response. I feel like a poet every time.

My "Easy L" and Golden Gate

This week my outdoor studio has brought me to Angel's Camp, CA. Patris and I are revisiting spots we painted about a year ago today. Its a bit overcast and drizzly, but we've still found some gem locations.
Here's the view from Twisted Oak Winery
I loved the path peaking through the silvery grass

It started to get dark quickly - The backlit tree, drew me in and I did a quick study.

On Wednesday we found shelter under awnings in Murphy, CA to escape the drizzle.

I love Murphy's Hotel. It opened in the late 1800s and has so much character. 
The windows reminded me of Italy, so I zoomed in on a couple. 

Patris is in the pink jacket under Murphy's Hotel awning. 

She captured the damp leaf lined streets! 
Check out more of her work at: www.artist-patris.com


 Don't miss out on my outdoor studio adventures. More updates coming soon! You can also check my website: www.vancannonart.com to see finished works. 





No comments:

Post a Comment