VancannonArt

VancannonArt

Friday, June 12, 2015

Butterfly Collection - Taking Flight

One of my lessons from Speed Studies is painting on new surfaces. It's fun and challenging to break away from the norm and experiment with new textures. Recently, while experimenting, I discovered a new found excitement for painting on cigar boxes.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it 
attached to the rest of the world"      
                                                                      ~John Muir     


Using my current series, From The Garden, as a spring board,  I found myself painting a variety of butterflies. I love watching these colorful bugs float around my garden. I've also thought butterfly conservatories and collections are amazing! 


The stickers and paper covering the box allow for interesting textures and color combinations. I also like that the box creates its own frame/ raised viewing platform. The box can also be used as a decorative storage container. 


The ideas keep coming and I've started to paint other things that fly, including a hummingbird. The hummingbird has always been one of my mom's favorite birds. Since moving to Sacramento it is taking place as one of my favorites too! They zip around my garden and drink from the feeder sitting right outside my studio window. 

Like what you see? These little gems are now available for purchase on my Etsy Store. 
Have a favorite bird or butterfly? Custom Paintings Available. 
Contact - vancannonart@gmail.com
View other work at www.vancannonart.com







No comments:

Post a Comment